Sunday, July 26, 2009

Karibuni Harambe Risavuya Wanyama Wa Porini


Jambo!

So now Luana and I have been working here at Disney for the last couple of months, and enjoying getting to know the area again. For me it hasn't been that long since I lived here last, but for Luana it has been quite a few years. But it still feels like home to me.

So here is where we are: I am working as a safari guide on the Kilimanjaro Safaris in Africa at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I spend my days driving a giant truck around for two week adventures through the African Savannah, including daily encounters with all sorts of exotic creatures... Bongos, Rhinos, Kudu, Crocs, Giraffes, Ankole Cattle, Wildebeast, Sabal Antelope, Tommies, Impala, Mandrills, Elephants, Flamingos, Cheetahs, Lions, Warthogs, Bontebok, and Oryxs... just to name a few. The animals keep it interesting, and they can be very entertaining (sometimes inappropriately so... how do you explain away two 5,000 pound rhinos right next to your truck making baby rhinos?) It is very high spiel, which I enjoy, but in the middle of the summer the heat certainly can take its toll! Mostly, though, I enjoy interacting with the guests. I love that part of this place so much.

Luana is working at Dinosaur!, which she is enjoying. Maybe I can convince her to post on here and she can tell you all about it. Suffice it to say, we're having a good time.

Here is the good news... in three weeks, we are moving out of college program housing and into a real apartment! Which means bye bye storage unit, bye bye being treated like we live in a dorm. We are moving into a two bedroom apartment back behind the Magic Kingdom, and we are very excited!

More good news... in three weeks, we are both transferring to entertainment! We are both going to be character performers. Now this is old hat for Luana, but I've never done it before. I was offered a full time job doing it back in 2003, but turned it down because I felt guilty dropping out of "Fiddler on the Roof." I have always regretted that I didn't do it. I am approved to be friend's with the Mad Hatter, and I think it'll be a blast.

The bad news is, it isn't quite full time yet. The only positions they have in entertainment was for us to extend this college program, so we are doing that. The economy is still to blame, but we are guaranteed work through the end of December. After that, I really hope something opens up. I'm sure it will.

We are really enjoying our ward, they've been very friendly. So much so that while looking for new apartments we had to find one in the ward boundaries. We are also in the same ward as Adam and Andrea Daveline, which is a lot of fun as well. We sure love those guys!

So maybe our decision to come here wasn't the most practical, and certainly not the most fiscally minded, but we are having a great time. We just wish Florida was a little closer to the West Coast.

Until next time, kwaherini!

4 comments:

Nathan Winder said...

Excellent!

See that wasn't so hard, now was it? (Blogging I mean.)

That's cool that you've got such a sweet gig right now. I would love to be the guide on the African safari. Honestly, who cares about making a ton of money if you are happy doing what you love and you have sufficient for your needs?

Hopefully someday I'll come visit you guys in Florida. That would be coolness.

Bryce said...

Great to see your blog and hear/read that things are looking up! Keeping having a good time while you can!

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

Even though I see you guys every Sunday, it's still great to hear your stories on your blog!!!!! Hooray for the update. When is moving day? Did you know you'll be in the same complex as Jason and Heather Meyers? Oh Yeah!

Chelsea said...

That is very fun Ben! you will be a great "friend" to the Mad Hatter!! Hope you stay there another year- me and my friends are planning on a Florida trip next year when HP opens in Universal. Glad you 2 are having fun!! Live it up, ya know!!